Skip to main content

Working at Being Happy


I think that some people believe I am a naturally happy person, but have to work to be happy.  It has to be a conscious effort to make sure that I am happy.  One of the things I know I need to do is surround myself with positive/happy people. Remember being the manager of a retail-clothing store that when I would look at employees, I wanted mine to be happy, because if people were negative and down, they brought me to their place.

I find that if I have things going on in my personal life I need to check those bags at the door and vice versa with my home and work.  It nice to walk away from my problems and get my mind somewhere else, then the issues might not be so big when I return to them!

Another thing I believe is that being happy can be contagious.  If people know that they can expect it from you, then they tend to feed off your positivity.  If I know there will be something that will be hard to do, I will psych myself up so that I am prepared.  It usually makes us have a good conversation in the end.

What makes me happy? I try to remember why I do what I do. I look at my families face, my dog, my life… I surround myself with happy things.  Yes, I am one of those people with a collection at my cube, photos and quotes all around. When I have happy around me, I cannot be mad or upset. Put a little shine where you will see it, how can you be upset when you look at a picture you love! Probably why we love Instagram so much is because it has so many happy pictures and scroll past something we don’t like.

I am aware of the pit we can fall into on social media.  I have fun with my husband talking about people who live “insta lives”.  It is crazy how some people feel like they need to have a perfect life, and that’s why I really love that there is the “purpose not perfection” movement.  I know it’s easy to make our planners look good and we stage them, but I enjoy the ones that are “real” the most. I don’t feel like I am in competition, I am enjoying learning to make my pictures better.

Challenge: Be mindful about being happy, if something is bringing you down, think about something that makes you happy!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addendum to Meal Planning

So, I was planning last night and as I work on my planner I also watch You Tube videos to get inspiration.   As I am flipping through the people, I see that Kell of Plan has a Meal Planning Video, it has changed my way of thinking about meal planning! She gave me inspiration and I am excited for planning my meals for this next MONTH! Check out her video here … So instead of using a mini page and drawing out my month, I created this printable for 2 months’ worth of planning. Just print 2 sided, flipping on the short side if you can, otherwise having 2 sheets will work too.   Just trim them down to size and viola; you are good to go! I liked her idea of trimming the post-it’s to fit in the squares and then you can move them to your planner if you wanted, or you can write it directly on the calendar itself. Can’t wait to see if this changes my life! J

Do What Brings You Joy!

As I flipped through Instagram there were many times when I doubted my talents, and myself and I questioned whether I should continue to do these things. The good news is that since I started my planner Instagram I have felt more empowered and have gotten such positive feedback on the things I do.   I remember telling my husband I was going to start my page and he said don’t take anything personally.   I promised that I wouldn’t, and I believe that he has prepared himself for the worst.   Luckily, this group of people are a wonderful group and for the most part, live by the golden rule.     Starting planning has really made me start thinking about things differently and I am starting to try things that I haven’t done for YEARS. I am drawing again, I practice hand lettering and feel like I can actually do it, and it is all making me a better person and want to be a better mom.   My son has started to want to play and make things with paper and I ha...

What I Get From Planning

We spent the weekend with extended family this weekend. I am exhausted, only because they were long days and late nights. It is fun to get everyone together; my husband has a HUGE family! He is the youngest of seven, and with all the kids, there are a lot of us! I have found myself talking about my planner with them, I feel a little uncomfortable wondering what they will think of my hobby.   Am I just a little girl playing with markers and stickers? Well, maybe, as I get more into my conversation, I am confident and proud of what I have done with my IG page. It makes me laugh how the outside world thinks of planners.   I know that not everyone gets it; it is funny though, as I have my Happy Planner out, people end up getting interested into what I am doing.   They want to know what I think about pens, brands and stickers. They want to show me what they are doing and excited to talk about it.   It opens doors that I didn’t know were even closed! It is ni...